Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Miles to go. Hours of Practice.


Let me introduce you to Miles and his people. When Ivy and I walk we meet many dogs and their people. The dogs greet the dogs, the people greet the people and the people greet the dogs and the dogs greet the people. Not always in that order.




Practicing is what skill is all about. You practice until it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about what you are seeing, it just comes out of your hand. Like driving a car. You don't think ....Ok, now I need to put on the turn light to signal that I am going to turn. You see what is up ahead and your hand turns on the signal and your other hand stays on the wheel (while your head cradles the cell phone, and you tell the kids to sit down and be quiet, being careful not to spill your hot coffee between you knees) while your eyes search in all directions to see if it is safe. Creating art is like that. You don't think....Ok now I am going to make this line straight until it curves to look like an arm. At first you think those thoughts but after practicing forever your eye sees arm and your hand creates the line that represents arm in a way you have done it before that looks like an arm.



Why am I telling you all of this? Because, I was practicing sketching yesterday by drawing from the TV. Here are just two pages of the many pages of sketches I did while watching the gymnastic competition on television. 





3 comments:

Claire M said...

pretty impressive sketches!! I think you've got the hang of it! ;-)

Papierflieger said...

Hello Pat,

I did not know that you are so good at sketching people in movement,very impressive. Good idea to sketch from TV in the coming days of dark winter here :).

Laure Ferlita said...

Nice work! That is something I've never been able to get the hang of - drawing from the TV - but obviously, you have!

SAMS

SAMS